Wednesday 22 October 2008

Kerry Katona, Surgery and VLCDs

You know what really upsets me? The weight (no pun intended) that people attach to a person's weight.

I'm obese, and every day I am met with people who assume that I am;
a) thick,
b) secretly pigging out on my secret stash of Mars Bars the second they leave the room (only sometimes true) and
c) constantly miserable about my weight and appearance.

Sure, I'm no Einstein, but that doesn't necessarily mean people need to slow down their speech in order for me to understand them.
Sure, I do eat more than the average person, but that doesn't mean I cannot restrain myself if there happen to be calories within 10 meters of me.
And sure, I don't exactly dance with joy when I look in the mirror each morning.

But that doesn't affect who I am as a person, any more than a person's race, colour or foot size does. I am who I am, despite, and perhaps because of my weight problems.

I saw Kerry Katona hurtling on towards a major career car crash today on "This Morning." She slurred her way through 10 minutes of concerned questions (of the 'are you an alcoholic?' variety) from the presenters (who were clearly seeing the headlines and future 'most embarassing TV moments' appearances in their mind's eye), and then buggered off to make more reality TV shows that no one watches.

She's just had "pints of fat sucked out" of her arse (on camera no doubt), and is back to a size 10 again. So the public watch her self destruct on booze and cocaine, then she uses the cash she earnt from the show to buy herself the surgery to remove the signs of it. No consequences, no responsibility, no sense.

There are millions of women in the world on diets, and a climbing number who can no longer be bothered with so slow and time consuming a process. They want results, and they want them now- that way they can get back to all that important eating and slobbing around that they need to do (why Mr. Kettle, you're looking awfully black today).

Dieting is not easy, but it's surely necessary to go through some pain in order to truly understand the importance of what you're doing? I'm reading constantly at the moment all the documents that Howard's Way have given me, and learning how to live a more healthy life when I come off this diet. Otherwise it's just a cartoon really isn't it? Just Wile E Coyote running off a cliff and falling harmlessly to the ground, when everyone knows he's going to be back on the cliff in five minutes again. Put him in traction for a few months, that's what I say- that'd have him forgetting about Road Runner pretty darned quick and making sure he was never so near damned cliff edge again!

Surgery just bugs me, it's expensive, potentially extremely dangerous, and there's no incentive to change your habits afterwards. A quick fix to what almost always a psychological problem.

So, the point that I'm trying to make is, diets work because they can change lives, not just jeans size.

oooh, catchy!

No comments: